Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
Vol. 4, No. 40 -- September 30, 2011
To download an audio file (save it on your hard disk): Click on this link for instructions.
This week in New World Notes, radio program #187, October 4, 2011
What's a populist? Broadly speaking, it's a person who believes that government should be controlled by the people--not by the oligarchs and big corporations. And that government should serve the needs of the people (not ... etc.). The three populists we'll hear from this week are
- Tommy Douglas: Longtime Canadian politician & reformer, co-founder of Canada's New Democratic Party (social-democratic), Premier of Saskatchewan Province 1944-1960. Said to be the person responsible for the first Medicare program in North America. Died in 1986. We'll hear his oft-told comic beast-fable about unresponsive politicians, Mouseland
- Molly Ivins: Texas-based journalist and nationally-known commentator, here speaking in Berkeley, CA, around 2005. She died in 2007
- Jim Hightower: Former Texas state government official (Agriculture Commissioner)--back when liberal Democrats could get elected to office in Texas. Now a nationally-known political commentator, self-identified populist, and general troublemaker. Still alive & kickin'
Molly Ivins recording courtesy of Scooter, of "The innerSide" on KPFT-FM (Houston, Texas). This excerpt was previously broadcast on NWN #44 in December 2008. Jim Hightower's commentaries are from his Web site.
Mouseland is available as an animated video.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "Yum-Yum tree") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio. See the gray sidebar on the right ("CONTENTS [Links]") for a table of contents.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Coming soon (Tuesday air debut date shown)
- October 11 -- Stop the Plunder of Public Education
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes