Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps -- 13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
New World Notes News
Vol. 3, No. 4 -- January 23, 2010
This Week in New World Notes, radio program #99, Jan. 26:
Lenny Bruce and
The Meaning of Obscenity
"I learned the truth from Lenny Bruce,"
-- Paul Simon, "A Simple, Desultory Philippic"
"This show is all about Lenny Bruce. Well, not just about Lenny. It's also about obscenity, American-style. Dirty words, oral sex, and the fatal stabbing of two women--one in Brentwood, one in the Bates Motel. All of the above, and Lenny Bruce too, are intricately connected."
Featuring a handful of Lenny's greatest routines, recorded 1963-64. (Sorry: no room this week for "Christ and Moses." Soon, though!)
Owing to technical difficulties--that's bureaucracy-speak for "I screwed up"--station WWUH in West Hartford, CT, was unable to air NWN #98 ("Cheap Junk and the Deindustrialization of America") last week. They did have #100, "Merchants of Fear," on hand and so played that. Next week, when the rest of the world is enjoying "Merchants of Fear," people in central Connecticut can settle for "Cheap Junk." Sorry 'bout that!
This week's songs
- Incidental music: The Trashmen, Surfin' Bird
- Outro: Supertramp, Goodbye, Stranger
- February 2 on WWUH -- Cheap Junk and The Deindustrialization of America -- Welcome to the Third World! (Hope you had your shots!)
- February 2 elsewhere -- Merchants of Fear
What makes the photo especially sad, to me, is the riot of
green plants, blooming away in mindless vitality, quite unaware
of the dead woman at the bottom of the stairs. "Where the dogs
go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse / Scratches
its innocent behind on a tree" (Auden, Musee des Beaux Arts).
I hope somebody is watering them.
Notes & Credits
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "long-suffering sighs") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford. Feedback to kdowst at hotmail period com.
Free subscription to weekly New World Notes email newsletter upon request.
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 6:30 to 7:00 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Saturdays, 7:00-7:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes