Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps -- 13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
New World Notes News
Vol. 3, No. 33 -- August 14, 2010
This week in New World Notes, radio program #128, August 17 & 21:
Class, Health, & Health Care
In this installment, Canadian health-care activist Susan Rosenthal, MD, discusses
- the horrors of working-class life in England during the Industrial Revolution (ca. 1845)
- the problems with Canada's "single-payer" health-care system
- how the profit motive and computers have brought us "assembly-line medicine" and
- the successful health-care reforms established in Chile, under Allende, in the 1970s
From our telephone conversation of July 2.
here. Try the links at susanrosenthal.com. Most photos: Click to enlarge.
Notes, credits, & links
Susan Rosenthal's new book--Sick and Sicker: Essays on Class, Health and Health Care--is available in paperback (from her) or as a "Kindle" electronic book from Amazon.com. http://susanrosenthal.com/ .
Part 1 of our conversation, program installment #123, remains available.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "aegis") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
Feedback to kdowst at hotmail period com.
Free weekly NWN email newsletter on request.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. New World Notes' main audio archive is at radio4all.net. Installments beginning with #90 are archived also at The Internet Archive, in a variety of file formats. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Salvador Allende's government introduced sweeping reforms to the
health-care system in Chile in the 1970s--much to the displeasure of
the Chilean Medical Association. What the Chileans did we could do.
Coming soon (Tuesday air debut date shown)
- August 24 -- Food, Hunger, and Globalized Agriculture.
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Saturdays, 7:00-7:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes