Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
Vol. 6, No. 9 -- March 2, 2013
This week we'll hear more from the video documentary, GMO: Ticking Time Bomb (part 2 & some of part 3). We'll focus on the corrupt politics, corrupt science, and corporate strong-arm tactics--especially by Monsanto Corp.--that got genetically-modified food crops approved and established in the U.S. despite the absence of safety testing.
Includes the stories of (and remarks by) two noted opponents of GM crops: Saskatchewan farmer Percy Schmeiser and scientist Arpad Pusztai.
Percy Schmeiser's canola crop was genetically contaminated with patented genes from Monsanto's "Roundup Ready" canola, which grew in a neighboring field. When Schmeiser saved and replanted the seeds from his contaminated crop, Monsanto successfully sued him for patent infringement.
Research in Scotland by biologist Arpad Pusztai indicated that eating genetically modified potatoes damaged the immune system of rats. When Pusztai publicized his findings, he was fired from Aberdeen's prestigious Rowett Research Institute.
Introductory remarks by K.D.
Notes, credits, & links
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "benign neglect") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio. See the gray sidebar on the right ("CONTENTS [Links]") for a table of contents.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
- March 12 -- GMOs (3): Health Dangers
- Sundays, 12:30-1:00 PM, WIEC-LP, FM 102.7 (Eau Claire, WI) & http://wiecradio.org/ Repeats Mondays at noon.
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes