To download an audio file (save it on your hard disk): Click on this link for instructions.
First, veteran news critic Jeff Cohen explains how the news media mislead the public to serve the interests of Established Power.
He focuses on two related techniques: (1) presenting a very narrow spectrum of opinion (while pretending to cover "both sides") and (2) ignoring all voices--including experts'--that contradict government and corporate claims. War opponents especially.
Then--courtesy of Project Censored--we look at some important stories that the major news media decided not to report.
good media analysts head up Project Censored.
Jeff Cohen's remarks are taken from a half-hour interview on Barry Vogel's Radio Curious. Many thanks to Barry and the show. Find the complete interview--and hundreds of other installments--at http://www.radiocurious.org/
Jeff Cohen was a founder of the media watchgroup Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR) -- http://www.fair.org/.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "Yum-yum tree") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio. See the gray sidebar on the right ("CONTENTS [Links]") for a table of contents.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
- May 15 -- Lawrence Lessig on the Corruption of Congress
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes