Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
New World Notes News
Vol. 3, No. 44 -- October 30, 2010
This week in New World Notes, radio program #139, November 2:
The Shape of Things to Come?
Garment factory in Haiti.
In briefThird World people are intentionally kept poor so that our rich "investors" may become still richer. British journalist Johann Hari argues this case, using Haiti as example. Michael Parenti (from the early 1990s) concurs, with examples from Haiti and elsewhere. I suggest that the US is now being pushed down the same road as Haiti. And comedians Bob and Ray offer a comic look at a domestic company that has adopted a Third-World business model: The Great Lakes Paper Clip Company.
Top: Aristide, of Haiti (2010): Probably the only democratically elected
head of government to have been overthrown twice by the United States.
Bottom: Brit journalist/commentator Johann Hari.
Notes, credits, & links
Johann Hari's "Suffocating the Poor: A Modern Parable" from Common Dreams, September 19, 2010.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "very noses") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Coming soon (Tuesday air debut dates shown)
- November 9 & 16 -- JFK in 1963: Disarmament Crusader
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes