Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
Vol. 5, No. 41 -- October 13, 2012
This week we'll hear another fine audiocollage by Chazk / Virtual Renderings. It's about climate change and ecological catastrophe. In several passages, veteran climate activist David Wasdell explains why global warming is getting worse at an increasingly faster rate. Disaster looms.
The prospect may be a real downer, but the program is a delight to listen to. Spun around Wasdell's spoken words are movie clips, songs, comedy routines, and whatnot from artists including Firesign Theater, George Carlin, Lee Camp, Al Gore (remember him?), Natalie Merchant, and several others.
Personal favorites in this installment:
- at the beginning, Firesign Theater on How the West Was Won
- the TV "weather girl" who goes ballistic (by the Canadian comedy group Deep Rogue Ram)
- near the end, a haunting snippet of the song, "Frosty the Snowman," by Angela McCluskey
This week on WWUH, FM 91.3, West Hartford
Same program ... plus additional live commentary and more whatnot in a special hour-long broadcast as part of the station's Fall Fundraiser (pledge week). Call with a pledge--or just good wishes--and be acknowledged on-air (or remain anynonymous if you prefer).
Tuesday, October 16, noon to 1 PM Eastern time. 1-800-444-WWUH (-9984) or 860-768-4008. You can also pledge online using the station's secure server: http://wwuh.org/
Please support your local, independent, noncommercial radio station(s) ... and the fine public-affairs programming offered there.
I have slightly condensed the original podcast and bleeped an expletive (for radio broadcast). You can find the uncut version and a list of the audio sources used at this page.
For a listing of audiocollages by Virtual Renderings, click this link or the semipermanent link near the top of our gray sidebar (under "Worth a Look").
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "first floor") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio. See the gray sidebar on the right ("CONTENTS [Links]") for a table of contents.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
- October 23 -- Dave Zirin on American Football
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes