Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
Vol. 4, No. 39 -- September 25, 2011
How to download an audio file (save it on your hard disk): Click on this link.
This week in New World Notes, radio program #186, September 27, 2011
Some personal reflections on our corporate-driven culture of massive consumerism. And memories of a time in U.S. history (early 1970s) when the "counterculture" rejected much of the consumer culture. Then 20 minutes of Gene Brockhoff's video documentary, Shop Til You Drop.
The documentary is a bit sprawling and loosely-organized, ... but it has many good and interesting things to say about America's consumer culture--and its causes. (Wish I could add, "and cures"!)
Notes, credits, & links
Shop Til You Drop was adapted to radio by Robin Upton, of Unwelcome Guests. It is presented in its entirety (52 minutes) in installment # 554 of that series.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "What. me worry?") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio. See the gray sidebar on the right ("CONTENTS [Links]") for a table of contents.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Coming soon (Tuesday air debut date shown)
- October 4 -- Three Populists--Tommy Douglas, Molly Ivins, Jim Hightower--in their own words.
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes