Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
Vol. 4, No. 30 -- July 24, 2011
"Lifting the Veil"
Three segments from Scott Noble's fine new documentary video about the betrayal of the American people by their political system.
1. A heartbreaking collection of Obama campaign promises--every one of which he broke. Get out of Iraq immediately; stop torture; close Guantanamo; bail out the people, not just the investment banks; renegotiate NAFTA; develop clean energy sources . . . and more. Everything Americans yearned for he promised. And we're still yearning.
2. Discussion by various figures of how US politics is controlled by--and serves only--Big Money.
3. A stunning speech at a war protest demonstration (D.C., December 16, 2010) by commentator Chris Hedges--on the meaning of the word "hope." Given The System's betrayal of democracy, hope requires the people to engage in public acts of nonviolent resistance to "the corporate state," he explains. (Hedges and more than 100 veterans then chained themselves to the White House fence and were arrested.)
The musical score in the background makes Hedges' speech even more stunning and inspiring. Hedges' remarks are preceded by a few on similar themes by John Pilger (2009).
The 2-hour film is available, without charge, online: http://www.metanoia-films.org/compilations.php
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "radar") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio. See the gray sidebar on the right ("CONTENTS [Links]") for a table of contents.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Our installment--and the film--end with Chris Hedges'
stirring speech (below). Click to enlarge.
Coming soon (Tuesday air debut date shown)
- August 2 -- Dog Day Afternoon at the Movies
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes