Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
Vol. 6, No.12 -- March 22, 2013
Corporate profits and stock prices continue to go up, up, up. Yet unemployment remains disastrously high, layoffs are increasing, poverty and personal debt are increasing. How can this be?
Noam Chomsky, Jim Hightower, Dave Johnson, The New York Times, and singer Mike Stout provide some answers.
Hint: don't blame nature, the Internet, new technologies, or China. Changes in federal laws and regulations--which Big Business fought hard for--enabled and encouraged the current mess.
Two of the sources we hear from bring up our local contributor to the Dow Jones Industrial Average: United Technologies Corporation. Two weeks ago, UTC reported record profits and reached a record high share price--and announced it would lay off (that is, fire) 3,000 more workers--on top of the 4,000 it laid off in 2012.
Chuck U. Rosina recorded the Chomsky segment in Boston on February 25, 2013. (Thanks again.)
Music added: Mike Stout, from "Occupy"
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "infleible deadlines") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio. See the gray sidebar on the right ("CONTENTS [Links]") for a table of contents.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
- April 2 -- TBA
- Sundays, 12:30-1:00 PM, WIEC-LP, FM 102.7 (Eau Claire, WI) & http://wiecradio.org/ Repeats Mondays at noon.
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes