Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
To download an audio file (save it on your hard disk): Click on this link for instructions.
Vol. 5, No. 19 -- May 12, 2012
This week in New World Notes, radio program #219, May 15, 2012
Our Corrupt Congress
Harvard Law professor Lawrence Lessig brilliantly discusses the many ways that our Congress is corrupt. Some of his examples surprised even me.
His October 2011 lecture in Seattle--based on his book Republic, Lost--combined an excellent discussion of the problem with (IMHO) a long-shot, pie-in-the-sky solution (a Constitutional Convention to establish campaign finance reform). Our condensed version of the talk focuses on the problem.
Notes, credits, & links
Our selections from Lessig's talk are taken from the hour-long recording broadcast by Mind Over Matters. Many thanks to that program and to producer Mike McCormick. The full recording is here.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "average quality") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio. See the gray sidebar on the right ("CONTENTS [Links]") for a table of contents.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
- May 22 -- filmmaker Eugene Jarecki on the Drug War
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes