Listen to or download Part One now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download Part One now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
Listen to or download Part Two now (Broadcast qlty. 192kbps--40 MB)
Listen to or download Part Two now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download Part Two now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
Vol. 5, No. 22 --June 6, 2012
In an interesting, shrewd, and funny talk, Michael Pollan shows what is wrong with our globalized, corporate-controlled agriculture. And he shows why certain alternatives are sane, practical, and---on a small but growing scale--already in place.
This week, in Part 1, he explains six reasons why factory farming is not only bad but "unsustainable." And he shows why "Whole Foods"-type globalized, corporate organic farming is not much better.
Pollan spoke at The Mondavi Center of the University of California, Davis, in November 2006. Adapted to radio in May 2012 by K.D.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "Boardwalk") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio. See the gray sidebar on the right ("CONTENTS [Links]") for a table of contents.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Coming soon (Tuesday air debut date shown)
- June 17 -- Competition is Bad, with Alfie Kohn
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes