Listen to or download this radio program now (192 kbps -- 41 MB)
Listen to or download this radio program now (64 kbps -- 14 MB)
Listen to or download this radio program now (32 kbps for dial-up modems)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
New World Notes News
Volume 2, Number 43 -- October 24, 2009
The Republic, the Empire,
the Economy, and the Citizens:
An Interview with Michael Parenti
In a telephone interview with me of October 13, acclaimed political scientist and Left political analyst Michael Parenti discusses
- the costs of empire and who pays them
- how national governments--no longer sovereign--act as the servants of transnational global corporate capitalism
- the REAL crime committed by the many "rogue states" the US has invaded the past half-century
- Can citizens turn an empire back into a republic? . . . and
- What happened to the US's progress towards social democracy?
Michael Parenti will present a free public lecture on Wednesday, November 4, at 7:30 PM, in Wilde Auditorium of the Harry Jack Gray Center, University of Hartford, 200 Bloomfield Ave., West Hartford, CT. His talk is titled, Political Liberties and Economic Democracy. Reservations are required for this free event: call the University Box Office at (860) 768-4228 or 800-274-8587.
I'll be there recording the lecture (in the control room at the rear of the auditorium)--so please look me up and say hi. I'll be glad to see you again or else make your acquaintance!
More on Parenti: www.michaelparenti.org/
This week's music: The Crown City Four, "Watch World War Three on Pay TV" (ca. 1960)
Credit where due
Thanks to Dr. Michael Parenti for his time, thoughts, & words. Thanks to the University of Hartford's Community Conversations Colloquium, Provost Lynn Pasquerella, & this year's colloquium steering committee for arranging & funding a public lecture by Parenti in November. Thanks to King Daevid MacKenzie for disinterring (from the ruins of its fallout shelter) this week's song. New World Notes is produced for WWUH-FM, a community service of the University of Hartford, West Hartford, CT. Feedback to kdowst at hotmail dot com.
Coming soon -- Tuesday debut date on WWUH shown:
- November 3 -- Resisting War: Dahr Jamail in Hartford (9-20-2009)
(tentative title) is in the works.
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 6:30 to 7:00 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/ (Note new day & time!)
- Saturdays, 7:00-7:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/ (KRFP may be temporarily off the air on Saturday, October 24: the station is moving to a new address.)
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes