Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps -- 13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
This week in New World Notes, radio program #90 (Tuesday, November 24):
Joyce Malcolm on the Meaning
of the 2nd Amendment
In a nutshell:
An offbeat look at guns & gun-banning. I tell of my own development from a capgun-slinging 7-year-old to a liberal-academic gun-banner ... to somebody who knows a little about guns & gun laws and thinks the NRA is not totally wrong about everything.
Then historian & legal scholar Joyce Lee Malcolm discusses the meaning of the 2nd Amendment & the recent landmark Supreme Court decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, which affirmed the right of the individual citizen to keep & bear firearms.
Heller, though, applies only to the District of Columbia! Next year, in McDonald v. Chicago, the Court will decide whether the individual right applies to the rest of the country as well.Joyce Lee Malcolm
What do you understand this sentence to mean?--
- A well-educated workforce being necessary
to the prosperity of a free State, the right of
the people to buy and read books shall not
Does it, say, guarantee only the right of an employer to provide printed instructional materials as part of a formal job-training seminar?
Does it empower the government to ban the possession of racy novels or other literature having no connection with earning a living?
This week's song: Fred Eaglesmith, Time to Get a Gun
Miss part or all of our last 2 programs?
Our radio adaptation of the documentary Sir! No Sir! is good for the soul and good for the blood pressure. Learn more, listen online, or download the audio for future listening by clicking on this link.
Coming soon -- Tuesday debut date on WWUH shown:
- December 1 -- Joyce Malcolm asks, Is There a Right of Self-Defense? -- The U.S. vs. the U.K.
- December 8 -- Michael Parenti on Political Liberties and Economic Democracy
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/ (Noon to 1:00 PM on October 13)
- Saturdays, 6:30 to 7:00 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Saturdays, 7:00-7:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes
Pulitzer Prize. More information at www.joyceleemalcolm.com .