Listen to or download this radio program now (192 kbps HiFi -- 41 MB)
Listen to or download this radio program now (40 kbps MedFi -- 8.5 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
David Rovics in Nablus
This week in New World Notes, radio program #81, September 15 & 18:
Capitalism & Community
A Conversation, Part 1
As you've heard, journalist Dahr Jamail will speak on several occasions in Hartford and Windham counties (Connecticut), September 19-21. Beginning 7:30 PM of the 21st, in Wesleyan's Memorial Chapel, he'll be joined on stage by acclaimed singer-songrwiter David Rovics. All events are free.
Rovics' business motto is a good if uncommon one: Songs of social significance. His business model is even more uncommon. For the most part, he gives his musical recordings away via the Internet. (See "Resources," below.)
Rovics calculates that, if a musician of his echelon makes any money at all, the money comes from concert performance fees, not royalties on album sales and radio airplay. Every summer a pop star like Paul McCartney can buy a cottage on the Isle of Wight with his quarterly royalty check. With their quarterly royalty checks, normal musicians can buy a couple sets of guitar strings and a falafel sandwich.
The political/social/economic/ecological concerns and stands in Rovics' music fit very nicely with New World Notes' own value set. In the 19 months this show has been on the air, we've probably played 85 recorded songs, and fully a third of them must have been by Rovics.
This week's installment of the show features Rovics. Here's the official synopsis:
In a phone interview, politically-engaged singer-songwriter David Rovics discusses two of the concerns that are central to his music: (1) Community and (2) the great enemy of community, Capitalism, American-style. Plus two songs by Rovics and commentary by KD.
Music this week:
- David Rovics, Used To Be a City In This Town and New Orleans
- http://willtoresistwar.blogspot.com/ -- Details of, additions to, & last-minute changes in Jamails' & Rovics' appearances in this tour of Connecticut
- http://www.soundclick.com/davidrovics -- Free audition & mp3 download of David Rovics' most recent 200 (and counting) recorded songs
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYW6S3hHvrI -- A good introduction to Rovics' music: a music video on You Tube of the song, What if you knew? (Note: some graphic images of civilian war casualties and starvation.)
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Fridays, 7:30 to 8:00 AM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Saturdays, 7:00-7:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes