Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
New World Notes News
Vol. 4, No. 20 -- May 14, 2011
This week in New World Notes, radio program #167, May 17, 2011
In briefA celebration of writer Joe Bageant, who died March 26. The self-described "redneck socialist" wrote brilliantly, profanely, and wittily on the corporate plundering of America--and on the connivance of our politicians in that plunder.
Rare among writers, he wrote sympathetically of the culture of a despised minority group. This was poor whites--"rednecks," he called them--and he was born and raised one himself. He's best known for his best-selling book, Deer Hunting With Jesus (2008).
This installment features readings from two of Bageant's essays, a terrific obituary in a style much like Joe's, and selections from documentaries and recorded interviews. Below: Joe and friend Fred Reed, in Mexico. We'll hear Fred's excellent obituary of Joe.
Notes, credits, & links New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "false promises") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Coming soon (Tuesday air debut date shown)
- May 24 -- Corporations vs. Schoolchildren
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes