Listen to or download this radio show now (Good quality 64 kbps--13 MB)
Listen to or download this radio show now (32 kbps for dialup -- 7 MB)
List all . . . and listen to or download any . . . installments
New World Notes News
Vol. 4, No. 9 -- February 26, 2011
This week in New World Notes, radio program #156, March 1, 2011
Only on WWUH FM 91.3:
Special Live, Hour-long Broadcast
(for Spring Fundraising Marathon)
(chaplains) prosyletize and evangelize the future real sky pilots.
Most photos: Click to enlarge.
- Tuesday, March 1, noon - 1 PM on FM 91.3 (West Hartford, Connecticut) or streaming live at http://wwuh.org/
- Call during this hour, and your pledge will register as support for the station's public affairs programs in general and New World Notes in particular.
- 1 - 800 - 444 - WWUH ( - 9984) or 860-768-4008
- Be thanked on air (by first name & town) or remain anonymous, as you choose.
- Between brief appeals for money, I'll play or read a wide range of interesting program material--including some of the War and Religion program broadcast this week on other stations (see below).
This week on other stations and on mp3:
War and Religion
In briefA look at the interplay among four forces: propaganda, the state, religion, and war. The war songs "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" and "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" are analyzed. (They let children listen to this blasphemy?)
One focus is on those enablers of state-sanctioned bloodbaths: military chaplains (a.k.a. "sky pilots"). Plus an expose' of rampant Christian evangelizing by the leadership--not least by the sky pilots--at the U.S. Air Force Academy.
Top: Sacrilegious war propaganda. The more you slaughter the rebels, the more Christ-like you are, sez poet Julia Ward Howe (1861). The fine print at the bottom reads, "Published by the Supervisory Committee for Recruiting Colored Regiments." (Click to enlarge.) Bottom: Antietam, 1862.
Notes, credits, & links
This is a replay of an old installment--#5, from March 2008--never before heard outside Greater Hartford--and now available for the first time on the Internet.
The full text of David Antoon's expose' of evangelism running amok at the Air Force Academy--"The Cancer From Within"--is here: http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20071107_the_cancer_from_within/
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition," as heard in this installment, was recorded by Kay Kyser and his Orchestra in 1942.
Outro: from Eric Burdon & The Animals, "Sky Pilot"
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "What, me worry?") of WWUH-FM, a community service of that beacon of light in darkest Connecticut, the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both radio4all.net and (from #90 onwards) The Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chrono listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page, and each page has links to the recorded audio.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want ... and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Top: Gettysburg, 1863 (photo by Matthew Brady). Bottom: "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition"--another rollicking, "God is on Our Side" war song (1942). The former phrase was coined by (what else?) a chaplain. Shown: 40 mm Bofors antiaircraft guns, quad-mounted on the carrier USS Hornet during World War II. To the left, sailors are passing--and loading--the ammunition. The tubes in the right middleground are spent shell cases.
Coming soon (Tuesday air debut date shown)
- March 8 -- Controlling the People (2): Schooling and Scapegoating (Listener Advisory for strong language and graphic reports of violence.) From the documentary film, Human Resources
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH-FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT) & http://wwuh.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP-FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID) & http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/
- Saturdays, 5:00 to 5:30 PM, WHUS-FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Any time: Listen to or download any installment ... or subscribe to a podcast ... at A-Infos Radio Project: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=result&action=series&series=New+World+Notes